Dental and oral health is an essential part of your overall health and well-being. Poor oral hygiene can lead to dental cavities and gum disease, and has also been linked to heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
- It is a method done by professional oral care in order to improve your teeth and make them achieve the best look possible.
- The first place that catches the eye in a smile would be the teeth. Well-groomed teeth will always make you look more attractive and pleasant.
- In addition to this, increasing your self-confidence, it will increase your quality of life and thus make you feel better.
- It is the branch of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of teeth and facial irregularities (malocclusion). The historical basis of the word orthodontics, on the other hand, consists of the Greek words ortho “smooth” and odons “tooth”. It literally means straight teeth. It also aims to correct the developmental disorders of the face and jaws.
- The main purpose of orthodontic treatment is to have a good closure of the mouth and the teeth. This occurs when properly aligned teeth are compatible with the teeth in the opposite jaw. A good closing would ease in better biting, chewing and talking. It helps to improve oral health and thus general health and increases one’s self-confidence.
- Healthy teeth come with healthy tissue surroundings. In Periodontology, tissues that surround the teeth are examined and diagnosis or treatments are done in case of diseases seen in these tissues. These tissues would be the gingiva, alveolar bone (bone surrounding the tooth), cement (tissue covering the root surface) and periodontal ligament (soft tissue connecting cement and alveolar bone).
- Briefly, Periodontology deals with the tissues which surround the teeth, inflammatory diseases and their treatment.
- It is one of the branches of dentistry that deals with the replacement of missing teeth and the associated soft and hard tissues by prostheses. Prostheses used would be crowns, bridges, and dentures.
Oral and maxillofacial
- Is the dental department which deals with treating conditions such as defects, injuries and esthetic aspects of the mouth, teeth, jaws and face.